Modern Rules for Minimizing Family Conflicts
In our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic, we often work with families. With the growing pressure on the family. Family conflicts tend to build. Family conflicts often escalate during times of change, especially in times of change which are derived from feelings of powerlessness. For example, when multiple generations are sheltering under one roof instead of going to work and school as usual it provides no reprieve from each others personality. Our Virginia Beach Health Clinic often works with families and the family dynamics.
Even ordinary squabbles over the remote control can grow more heated with the extra time spent with each other. That’s especially true if deeper issues, like sibling rivalry and clashing lifestyles, have been lingering under the surface.In our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic, we work to uncover these deep seated emotional and relationship issues.
You can make your time at home more peaceful and enjoyable and we often recommend various strategies in our Virginia Beach Health Clinic. Try these strategies for preventing and resolving family disputes in a faster more loving manner.
Strategies for Preventing Family Conflicts
It’s natural to disagree even with those you love. We often see many disagreements in our Virginia Beach Health Clinic. On the other hand, you can also take steps to keep conflicts from multiplying by following some of these simple techniques that we teach in our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic.
Try these techniques for fewer conflicts:
- Appreciate each other. Your relationships matter more than any issue that could divide you. Think about why you love each other and express your gratitude often. This can be challenging when they are getting on our nerves. But we know from working with thousands of families in our Virginia Beach Health Clinic that the act and vibration of gratitude can help support the frequency of love which minimizes agitation.
- Establish priorities. Ask yourself if any particular event is worth arguing about. You can probably get used to the toilet paper hanging over or under the roll. You truly do not need to die on every hill. In our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic, we help provide a space for family members to express their frustrations and sort through what matters the most to the individual and if it will cause help instead of harm by sharing.
- Clarify boundaries. Understand your own needs and limits. Figure out the reasons behind your requests, so you can negotiate more effectively. Let others know how you wish to be treated and the consequences for crossing your boundaries. Setting healthy boundaries is a healthy and loving act for self. At times, it can feel uncomfortable to set boundaries with others, however it can allow for greater ease and less resentment.
- Schedule family meetings. Ongoing communication reduces misunderstandings. We tend to recommend within our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic to have family meetings. These are safe places, and spaces designed to allow for you to get well. You may want to hold formal family meetings or put aside time each day to give each other updates and cover important topics.
- Pull together. Share practical assistance, support, and encouragement. Aim to find solutions that benefit your whole family instead of trying to score personal victories. This can prove to be healthier for the whole instead of just the one. Our Virginia Beach Health Clinic is grateful for the health of the whole.
Strategies for Resolving Family Conflicts Taught at our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic
What if you’re already feuding with each other? Keep in mind that settling conflicts constructively can actually draw you closer together. We often delve deeper into these unconscious behaviors, beliefs, core beliefs, etc that can be driving these interactions.
Keep these tips in mind that we recommend at our Virginia Beach Health Clinic
- Stay calm. Avoid saying anything in anger that you might regret later. Take a walk around the block if you need to cool down. Make sure to take a break when things get heated and learn to fight in a healthy way. Fair fighting rules include agreeing not to yell, name call, or disrespect each other.
- Listen closely. Let your family members know that you care about their opinions. Hear them out without interrupting. Validate their feelings even if you disagree with their conclusions. Validating and acknowledging what they feel, regardless if you agree or disagree can help everyone feel supported, loved, and accepted unconditionally.
- Narrow your focus. Stick to one subject at a time. When you’re trying to divide household chores fairly, it’s irrelevant to mention who ate the last slice of pizza.Those that do not want to take personal responsibility will often deflect and those that do not want to deal with the task at hand may send the conversation flying in thousands of directions. Stay focused, and be present in the conversation.
- Look ahead. Let go of past disappointments and resentments. Focus on what positive changes you can make for your future together. Resentments often come from suppressed communications. Disappointments come from thwarted intention or unfulfilled expectations. We can be responsible for our feelings of disappointment and accept the situation and the person for who they are and not who you want them to be. In communication, we work on fully expressing ourselves clearly. In our Virginia Beach Holistic Clinic, we often review methods and strategies surrounding communication.
- Be specific. Spell out your expectations. You may think that cleaning a bedroom means dusting the top of the door. Your teenage son may feel satisfied as long as the neighbors aren’t mentioning any suspicious odors. Being clear with expectations and gaining acknowledgement and acceptance of these expectations can provide clarity. In our Virginia Beach Health Clinic, we often dispel unclarified and dispel whether our expectations are realistic or unrealistic to manage emotional upsets.
- Offer compromises. Be flexible and creative about finding solutions that each family member can be comfortable with. Living together usually requires some give and take.It is about creating a compromise rather than being right, wrong, good or bad. Ensure that each person feels heard accepted, and that everyone gives a little bit in the discussion and in the solution.
- Sign a contract. Do you have the same arguments week after week? You may want to put your resolutions down in writing and ask each family member to sign off. Keeping a record is likely to produce more compliance. Signing an agreement can create clarity and gain agreement to all those involved in the struggle.
- Teach your children. Parents sometimes worry about how children will be affected when they see family conflicts. However, this can actually be a valuable opportunity for developing communication and relationship skills, as long as you provide a positive role model. Children mimic what they see in adults around them. You are not going to be a perfect parent no doubt, but being mindful of your behavior and your actions can help support little ones mindsets.
- Consider counseling. If you’re still finding it difficult to cooperate with each other, it may help to talk with an experienced and objective professional. Our Virginia Beach Holistic Health Clinic work within the family dynamics from a perspective of teaching skills and tools. We encourage that all members of the family have their voice and feel empowered with that voice.
Family conflicts often stir up strong emotions and power struggles. Protect your relationships and restore harmony by treating each other with kindness and respect. The more you feel internal kindness and resect the more you can create that in the world around you.
- No Tags For This Post