Have you ever been hurt so badly that you thought you’d never come out on the other side? Perhaps you’re still holding onto that grief, anger, and hostility from the past. If you are, then it’s time to learn how to let go of past pain, move on from the past and learn about moving forward in life. You deserve to let it go and learn how you can experience moving forward in life.
Holding onto past pain and anguish is a kind of self-inflicted torture that can cause serious health risks as well as emotional scarring. The truth is, when you cling to the past, you’re internally changing your present.
How can something you’ve kept inside for so long just be let go? It’s not an easy task, but it can be done with a little effort and self-reflection.
Here are some ways that you can learn how moving on from the past, letting go of past pain and disappointment, so you can move forward in life an help you heal.
1. Know what’s holding you back from moving forward in life. What are you holding onto and why? Identify the things you’re keeping inside that you shouldn’t be.
- For example, maybe your best friend betrayed you in a way that broke your trust. Recognize this and figure out a way to finally deal with it. Get in touch with them again, then explain the pain they’ve caused.
- They may not even be aware they did anything to upset you. Whether or not they apologize isn’t important. While it may be nice, you can’t control others or force them to say sorry. However, by simply voicing your feelings, you are finding closure from the hurtful situation.
- Getting closure on something that was left open-ended can make a huge difference in letting things go and moving on from the past
2. Talk it out in order to experience moving on from the past. If the person who caused the hurt is still in your life, talk to them about the way they made you feel. If that person isn’t available, try to talk to a close friend or professional about the situation.
- Getting your emotions out in the open can help you get over any resentment or anger you may be feeling and can help you in moving forward in life. Bottling up your emotions is never a good thing. Let it all out in a constructive way and you’ll be amazed at how much better you’ll feel when you learn to let it go and resolve it.
- Be mindful of always talking about the certain situation, as sometimes it can be counterproductive and keep you circling the same old things. Set a time, discuss it, get it out, and then choose to let it go by seeing things differently.
- If you begin to see things differently from multiple perspectives this can allow you to get complete by moving on from the past.
3. Forgive and forget. It may sound easier said than done, but forgiving someone who has hurt you can be extremely therapeutic. Strive to let things stay in the past and don’t allow them to affect your present. Moving forward in life may require you to set boundaries with yourself as well as others.
- Once you learn to forgive the people who’ve caused your pain, you will find it far easier to heal and assist in moving forward in life.
4. Make the first move. You’re in charge of your pain. You’re the one who carries it around with you and you’re the only one who can change its intensity. It’s up to you to take control of the pain and take the first step towards making yourself feel better.
- Acknowledge that your pain is real and that a positive solution exists.
- Confront the cause of the pain and do everything in your power to get rid of it.
- Do not allow the emotional pain to define you, choose to forgive yourself, forgive others, and release the pain.
- A lack of unforgiveness in self and others only keeps you stuck and shut down. It does not help you to expand in life by moving forward in life
The best way to move forward in life is to forgive the past. If you can’t change the past, you might as well learn to accept it and move on. This can sometimes be easier said than done. You’ll be glad you did once you see just how bright your future can be when you regain control of your life, by choosing your perception on this matter. Remember you are not powerless of this experience. It is done. It is healed. It is accomplished now. You can choose to let it go now.
Make the conscious decision, today, to live your life free from pain and resentment. If you are looking for support and assistance, please feel free to schedule a consultation for a mind-body appointment by clicking the link above.
9 Ways to Enhance Self-Love: Build Your Self Esteem
The Secret to Loving Yourself Unconditionally